Sunday, September 17, 2006

Internet Blows Up

Well, it has been on and off for the past few weeks, but the new internet in our housing decidedly stinks. Unable to sign on from my dorm, I thought I would go find an internet cafe.
Freshers week begins tomorrow and already both city centre and headingley are swarming with students intent on becoming completley pissed. I joined the mass a couple of times this weekend, going out with my flatmates, none of whom speak english as their first language except for me. The whole situation was fun and interesting. I have a new neighbor named Julia from Germany, and the girl living across the hall I have come to know a bit better: Vivi from Greece. Other than those two and another girl from Germany, the remainder of the rooms are boys (men?). All 12 rooms have been filled. I am hoping that we do not go at each other's necks before the end of term, but right now everyone is very nice and jovial.
I have met one guy studying interior design at the College of art and design, and his friend who are both from Holland.
Other than that everyone is either studying international relations, international buisness, or the entertainment buisness in one form or another.
Everyone who moved in when I was in Edinburgh got to know me as "the girl from the States." Not too bad a rep I suppose. But I have managed not to unnerve anyone with my base American attitudes and find myself correcting people that it is NOT always sunny in California.

an ancedote:
On returning from Edinburgh I caught the tail-end of international week, part of which was to have people extolling the virtues of Leeds with booths about the possibilities at our doorstop. I was stopped by one guy selling "not Tourists" a company set-up to help students visit the various corners of the UK for little money. I was personally put-off by his need to talk so slowly to me. And after his speech he asked me where I was from. I told him California, his response was to tell me that he thought I was from Norway because I was "so pale". And than on learning that I knew perfectly good english began flirting (hurmph). Admittedly I have been working on diminishing as much of my tan as possible, but still!
And on that note, I have seen more English that look like the idealized California than I have in California.
I apologize for my tirade, I have enjoyed myself quite a bit in England, but I am still floating in a type of irridescent bubble of unbelieving at the moment. Knowing that I am living and going to school on the other side of the world still seems so unreal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home